[sf-lug] recommendation for a 64bit laptop

Vinubalaji Gopal vinubalaji at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 23:11:00 PDT 2007

On 4/16/07, Kevin Kempter <kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking about getting a 64bit laptop so I can run 64bit FC5/FC6 however I
> must have wireless working.  Any suggestions?
I got a macbook (Core 2 Duo) which can run Linux. There are some
documentation on how to get things working :) (the mactel site). The
wifi driver works without encryption (without WEP or WPA) after
installing madwifi drivers. I am sure that it will have support for
WEP, etc soon (and I am eagerly waiting for that).

All Intel Core 2 duo laptops can run 64 bit Linux. The newer wifi
cards may not be supported, so do check them before buying.

I am running FC6..First had 64 bit installed, but then had to
reinstall FC6 32bit version since Flash 9 is not supported on 64 bit
platforms :(. Ofcourse the same holds true for the wifi drivers as
well, which did not have 64 bit versions at that time (I had to use
Ndiswrapper to run the binary version of the driver). Not sure if the
new madwifi driver I have now will work on 64 bit platform.

--
Vinu

In a world without fences who needs Gates?