[sf-lug] Fwd: Help Linux Flourish

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 15 18:41:47 PDT 2007

Quoting Jim Stockford:

> i get things like this from time to time. What do
> you all think?

Perhaps just my opinion, but I tend to think:

Build, and support the building of, quality Open Source software.
E.g. write and contribute code, bug fixes, help troubleshoot, test,
document, teach/train/educate/support (and yes, evangelize a bit too).
Donate what one can of the above and/or other resources, e.g.
expertise, equipment, facilities, funding, etc.  Donate to
organizations that help make and promote Open Source, e.g. support
Debian and GNU via Software in the Public Interest:
http://www.spi-inc.org/

I tend to think making Open Source an unquestionably superior "product"
is the best way to "promote" it.  It then quite effectively mostly
just "sells" and promotes itself.  Of course some general
advocacy/promotion is good too - but it needs to be well founded,
realistic, and not over-hyped.

I think it's also appropriate to protect Open Source software from
ill-conceived legislation or other actions that might act to squash or
unfairly penalize Open Source.  In that regard, political action,
watching what one's government is up to or considering, and/or
supporting groups (e.g. EFF) that do excellent work in such realms is
well advised.

I guess I'd be rather hesitant to toss money at "the new kid on the
block" - I tend to want to see how much is being collected, where the
money is going and/or what's being accomplished with the funds.

Other (semi-?)random item.  I'd like to see LinuxFund work out another
card deal to support Linux and Open Source projects.  Or if they
can't manage to do that or get it together to do that, perhaps some
other group that well works to fund Open Source work could work out a
similar card deal (in the meantime, I'll be looking at what credit
card will get the majority of my transactions come 2007-07;