[sf-lug] criteria for Linux User Groups

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 18 13:06:19 PDT 2007

I wrote:
> Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):
>
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/User-Group-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.2
>
> Eh, _that_ guy?  You shouldn't believe what that wanker says -- take my
> word for it.  (See also:  Epimenides and the unreliability of Cretans.)

Just in case my sense of humour is too Scandihoovian-dry for people:
"That guy" (who maintains/write the cited HOWTO) is the bloke I shave.

(Epimenides, a rather dry-witted writer in Classical Era Crete, became
famous for writing "The Cretans, always liars..." --i.e., "Trust me when
I say I always lie" -- furnishing a famous logic paradox that lead to
Bertrand Russell's ill-fated attempt to purge formal logic of problems,
which then lead to Godel's Theorem, modern computing, and AI.)

Anyhow, Bobbie Sellers wrote:

> By the way be glad you aren't stuck in the era of producing
> hardcopy newsletters for the membership.  Major bummer and
> expense to produce and mail.

I was the long-time editor of the 36-page newsletter of the San
Francisco PC User Group.  36 to 40 pages (depending), each and every
month, for years.

It was certainly a lot of work, but publshing a print newsletter laid
out (at the time) in Ventura Publisher with a really attractive typeface
-- and making everything be just right -- had its own strong satisfactions.