[sf-lug] Today's meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 4 17:05:42 PST 2007

Quoting Pavel Dudrenov (dudrenov at gmail.com):

> Just wanted to say it was a real pleasure meeting all of you today.

Likewise.  Just a note to the fellow who attempted to use my SimplyMEPIS
6.5 beta 5 CD, and couldn't get his laptop to boot from it:  The problem
is definitely not with my CD, which I've just verified is fine.

I'm not sure what you (that fellow) tried, but most machines display in
the early part of bootup (the pre-OS "power-on self-test" screens)
information about a key you can press to bring up a "boot menu", to
select a one-time boot device (e.g., your CD drive).  Failing that, you
can always enter the BIOS Setup and _set_ your CD drive as the first boot
device (i.e., not just as a one-time selection).

Also, to repeat, for everyone's benefit:  It's really in your interest
to read about sundry Linux distributions and decide what you'd like to
sample _prior_ to showing up at an install event.  The Web is your
friend, in this department, but best used in advance when you have more
time and fewer distractions.

http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros links to a number of
places to learn more -- and each linked Linux distro or BSD variant's
name hyperlinks to somewhere for more information about that item.