[sf-lug] Sunday meeting at the Javacat--11 AM to 1 PM

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 2 10:39:30 PST 2007

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

> erk, the javacat machine's got CD,
> not DVD.

Well, LANs are potentially your friend:  If you read the DVD's image
onto _some_ machine with a lot of free disk space (e.g., someone's
laptop), then you can scp the file over an ethernet connection to the
Javacat machine, at the time of your choosing.

Or, of course, you could just buy a cheap ATAPI DVD drive, and just bolt
it in.  Combo drives are only about $35
(http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=27999&czuid=1172860422317).

One can only do so much within reason, to overcome missing hardware.  ;->

As you saw me mention on CABAL's mailing list, I had to make the
judgement call to download just the DVD images for certain distros:  In
the case of RHEL5 beta 2, the alternative is to download _seven_ CD
images per edition (for each of four editions), which gets kind of
ridiculous after a while, and, realistically, any machine you'll
actually want to run that on will have a DVD drive -- or should get one.

(Putting a bog-standard ATAPI drive into a server or workstation box
ain't brain surgery.)