[sf-lug] Linux CDs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 1 19:46:31 PST 2007

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):
> Pavel Dudrenov <dudrenov at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Irecently joined the mailing list, and wanted to attend to the next
> > meeting. On that note, I was wondering if I can bring a HP dv6000
> > laptop with me. I'm having trouble getting acpi working on it. Even
> > if I manage to get it some what running them some of the pci devices
> > wont be recognized. Apparently it's a known issue, but maybe someone
> > at the meeting can educate me on the most optimal solution.
>
>     of course, please bring it. per SF-LUG charter,
> members can do whatever they please. there's
> usually someone who knows things there.

I gather that HP used an Nvidia motherboard for this unit, as they do
for several other current models of my acquaintance.  (I consider those
motherboards to be bad news.  Basically, they're Linux-hostile, and so's
the chipset manufacturer in my opinion.)  I'm guessing that Pavel tried
booting with "acpi=off", and found that he lost a number of devices.
Unfortunately, really recent motherboards seem to be absolutely
requiring ACPI support to work at all, which means you have to leave
ACPI switched on _and_ have a pretty recent 2.6 kernel.

Try "pnpbios=off" as a boot option, Pavel.  "noapic nolapic pci=routeirq"
and maybe "pci=usepirqmask" might help, but is a really blunt
instrument.