[sf-lug] Sunday meeting at the Javacat--11 AM to 1 PM

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 1 19:19:30 PST 2007

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

>    wow! For Toni's purposes probably it would
> be useful to bring a few from which to choose
> that might be best laptop choices--sorry i don't
> have her machine's info--I'm forwarding this
> message and cajoling her to join the list

I forgot to add:

o  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 beta 2 aka v. 4.92 (2006-11-11)
   Server Edition and Client Edition for i386 and for x86_64
   (1 DVD each)

> There is, at the Javacat, a machine that seems
> mostly turned off but is there for SF-LUG folk
> to use (i think 192.168.1.251 when it's on), and
> we could use it to serve up images.

If it has a DVD drive, you can copy _both_ the CDs and DVDs from my
collection.  (You'll need to look up how to use the readcd utility, if
it's unfamiliar.  Do "readcd -scanbus" and "readcd dev=ATAPI -scanbus"
to find the right device specifier for the drive.)

On the ever-popular question of choosing a distribution, my referenced
page (http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros) says:

  Undecided? Totally lost? Try the Linux Distribution Chooser.[1] For
  further background, read  Karsten's Distributions Guide[2] and consult
  DistroWatch[3].

[1] http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
[2] http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Linux/linux-new.html#distros
[3] http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

--
Cheers,   "Why is the alphabet in that order?  Is it because of that song?"
Rick Moen                                              -- Steven Wright
rick at linuxmafia.com