[sf-lug] save the mbr!

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 19:46:09 PST 2007

It's too bad Red Hat didn't do anything with Code Fusion, which they got when they acquired Cygnus Solutions. Code Fusion had a special version of gdb, integrated into the Code Fusion GUI. Code Fusion was the closest thing to Borland style tools. If you hunt around the Red Hat site, you may be able to still find the source code for Code Fusion, I believe they had it there at some point.

Jason Turner <jturner at nonzerosums.org> wrote: Ahh, someone is just getting real curious... :-D

Well, let me say ahead of time... no bonus points for me.  But I only
chime in here because, selfishly, I'm curious if anyone out there would
recommend a particularly good interface(gui) to gdb.  Which is my first
answer to your question about a disassembler.  Now, I'm primarily an
emacs+gdb guy when playing with code on Linux.  But I have to admit I've
never been as effective with that tool when debugging source(much less
object) code than when I used Symantec or Borland tools on Windoze.

So, I know gdb inside emacs is not an option for you, VI guy.  Have you
tried to dump the code into gdb on the command line and seen anything
helpful?  I just dunno ahead of time if that would pass all your
stipulations.  But it's cheap to try, no?

--
jt