[sf-lug] RHCT Red Hat Certified Technician Linux Study Guide (Exam RH202)

jim stockford jim at well.com
Wed Nov 22 23:21:23 PST 2006

    i've read it. it's got a lot of good points and a
few not-so-good points.
    it deals with RHEL 3.0, which i think is fine--
the RHEL 4.0 certification focuses on the
essentials.
    it has lots of good info and good question
sections and mini-tests.
    where it seems weak to me is in its beginning--
in taking the tests, the test-taker works to fix or
set up a host with respect to an existing network
and set of servers that are part of the classroom
test environment. in the beginning of the book
the author tries to explain what to do to set up
a similar server host to work with a client. But
if the reader doesn't know the issues of the
client, the reader doesn't know the issues for
setting up a corresponding server: the result
is, at least for me, pretty convoluted reading
which did me no good.
    the benefit i got was from the later chapters
and especially the questions following each
chapter.
    overall, in my view, it's a really good book
and i'm glad i bought it.