[sf-lug] more re Novell/MSFT and GPL

jim stockford jim at well.com
Thu Nov 9 10:21:24 PST 2006

This is entertainingly written and well-thought:
with lots and lots of links at bottom.

As to patenting software, I once worked as sys adm
and de facto DBA for the US Court of Appeals for the
Ninth Circuit--i.e. techy for the federal government.
My boss told me that all software written for the feds
(and i presume for states and counties, etc.) is in the
public domain. that's a lot of code in the public domain.
finding existing code wrt some patent trial could be
difficult, of course. seems a significant consideration.