[sf-lug] Windows and Linux OS to work together

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 00:21:11 PST 2006

Microsoft's .net is their method of controlling web services. Novell's project MONO (acquired from Zimian) was an insurance policy against that; now Microsoft will have some (if not all) control over it. I wonder how the Zimian people at Novell feel about this. I've always seen the Zimian people as being closely aligned with FSF; maybe this isn't so.

There are other good distros, that will pick up the slack now that Novell is suspect.

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote: Quoting Tony (vze2jy85 at yahoo.com):

> Hi Everyone:
>
> A very interesting development. Are we moving towards
> a unified Windows-Linux OS in the future?

A lot of very shallow IT news coverage is saying that.

My take:  Novell has just agreed to pay protection money through 2012 to
evade being sued for patent violation, leaving the rest of the Linux
community to face Microsoft's latest anticompetitive weapon of choice
without their assistance.  The rest of it's PR fluff.

To see further analysis, see Groklaw.