[sf-lug] the latest on the servepath colo story

jim stockford jim at well.com
Tue Oct 17 16:35:11 PDT 2006

Asheesh! outstanding!

    you're right--no redundancy. I like RAID 1 and
a backup system. On my little LAN I've got NFS
shares that I occasionally copy to (gotta automate
that, but sometimes it hurts when i think). they had
nothing at all.
    going bad sectors is the rule, I think, hence
inode and superblock redundancy. I can't tell
what happened in this case--i ended up putting
the corner of a heat sink on the 'y' key when I
saw what fsck was gonna do to my finger (got
a snack and came back to a big "yyyyyyyy..."
command, hit enter, command not found, all
totally sucked--750 empty files with inode
numbers in their names, under lost+found the
same, with occasional directories, a mess).

    how to deal with new bad sectors? <--------

    "total failure" == "disk don't work no more"
a new bad sector might threaten the occasional
file but not the entire drive--some drives work and
work, with increasing numbers of bad sectors,
just not MBR or related. right? (not right?)

    thanks lots for the description of your colo box.
    For me, one of the exciting things about Paul's
colo offer at ServePath is that we get to go to
the site to dick with the box and check out the
scene as a bonus. But that's me.

    I got a crick in my neck right after reading where
you wrote about Debian. Nathan is pitching
Debian, mainly by dismissing Red Hat, but still,
Nathan's a hot item and i gotta listen. We settled
on CentOS (built with Red Hat code), but with
future ambitions somehow to employ either
Debian or Ubuntu.