[sf-lug] the latest on the servepath colo story

jim stockford jim at well.com
Tue Oct 17 14:15:24 PDT 2006

    i got a job recently on a box where the hard drive
went down--/boot, /, swap.
    It was a production box, and the owner was dying
to get his scripts and data back. it would have been
a lot easier if he'd had more partitions--then whichever
went bad, the others would be okay (except in the
case of total failure, which is pretty rare, yes?).
    and thus i plead the case for more, smaller partitions
rather than fewer bigger parts.
jim
PS: i've heard the claim of making multiple swap parts
for performance. I'm betting that no one defends that.