[sf-lug] a few topics from today's meeting

jim stockford jim at well.com
Sun Oct 1 18:13:11 PDT 2006

----------------ISP:
The claim today was that Sonic is a good ISP, better
than comcast.
http://www.sonic.net/

----------------VoIP and PBX and softphones:
media temple is hosting company that also runs an
asterisk-based VoIP call center with something like
40 agents.
http://www.mediatemple.net/

Who's going to San Francisco State University on
Tuesday, 10/10 for Sameer's Asterisk demo and
subsequent open discussion with his class? You
can count on rides to or from in SF.

----------------Wireless:
SFlan is an experimental wireless community network
in SF. SFLan is currently in beta.
http://www.archive.org/web/sflan.php

There's an active wireless group in Alameda
http://alamedawireless.org/

Seattle Wireless is a grassroots Community Wireless
Network (CWN) project in Seattle, Washington.
"we believe that we can build a network without
recurrent fees that is not beholden to any
CommercialTelecommunicationsProvider. Our network
is a MeshNetwork that follows the
FreeNetworksPeeringAgreement and is built on
OpenSourceSoftware."
http://www.seattlewireless.net/

There's the claim that wimax works better than
wifi: 802.16E, WirelessMAN, it's got a 70 mile range.
http://www.wimaxforum.org/home/

----------------Computer School:
someone promises to let us know of a school that
teaches various computer skills in or around South
San Francisco--an eight-session class for $30.

----------------there was more, but i coudn't type fast enough.