[sf-lug] build-a-box project report

jim stockford jim at well.com
Tue Sep 12 14:22:24 PDT 2006

    as usual, great fodder: the usual wild, over-the-top
thanks.

    i want to defend actnet--it was i who screwed up
the power supply choice by insisting on something
bigger/better at the last minute.

    hmmm, the power supply unit looked new: sleek
and fine, what with the cable sheaths. Rachel (at
ActNet) claimed it was missing the proper adapter.
your swag could be right, of course. I believe it's
450W or so.

    I'm gonna have them put it all together rather than
kluge a fit between the case and the motherboard.

    we read the manuals as we went, specially the
part about RAM and sockets--how'd you figure it out
from just reading the manual?

    EXTRA thanks re the fans: I'll make a point to them
later today. they already know that quiet is the goal,
but good to remind.

    (sigh) i got started with a soldering iron and
oscilloscope, learned about CPUs and busses,
then started learning about software and whoosh!
everything changed. now it seems that hardware
is hard. and so much of it!