[sf-lug] looks like the 1s have it

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 28 17:16:44 PDT 2006

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

>     The 1s responses were overwhelming.
>     We'll create a separate job posting list (and probably
> lose a few members) and invite you all to join.
>     I'll review Rick's notes, add a paragraph to the web
> site, and go from there (i.e. beg Rick to help creating
> the sf-lug job posting email list).

Um, I feel like a heel for saying this, but:  not on my server.
I'll be glad to help you set it up elsewhere, but not here.

As mentioned, I'm moderator of several technical group's jobs mailing
lists in the Bay Area.  It's a (small) pain in the neck, being
moderator, but I don't complain:  I knew there would be annoyances when
I volunteered.

The thing is, though, I say to myself:  "At _least_ I don't have to host
one of these things."  They gulp disk space, the sysadmins get all sorts
of absurd problems thrown at them, and so on.

My system (the one SF-LUG's mailing list is on) is running short on disk
space, being a circa-1998 VA Research 2U server with its original pair
of 9GB SCSI drives.  I _do_ have a replacement machine assembled and
partially debugged, but haven't yet done the cutover.  (Note that it's
not a question of money; it's time to do the admin scutwork.)  I could
bore you to death with details, but will spare you.  ;->

And no, I'd really rather not host that sort of list _after_ doing the
hardware cutover, either.