[sf-lug] Nokia 770 and its Maemo platform

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Jul 17 22:58:35 PDT 2006

Hi all,
First, a disclaimer: I *do not* work for Nokia. I am just very impressed with the Nokia 770's Debian-based OS.

I got a Nokia 770 sometime last year. This is a device from Nokia that runs on a version of Debian, and is geared towards the average consumer. It sells at CompUSA for about $349 [http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=336223] and online from Nokia at http://europe.nokia.com/770

Well, recently, Nokia updated its OS to the very latest one called "Internet Tablet OS 2006". Some of the neat things about this device+platform are the apps that come with it and of course, a bunch of third-party apps written by others. GoogleTalk, Gizmo VoIP, MaemoMapper (GPS), etc.

I've taken a bunch of screenshots and written about it a bit. I was talking about it with SF-LUG'ers at the Javacat meeting earlier today. Thought I'll pass it along.

http://opensource.sfsu.edu/node/183

cheers,
Sameer

--