[sf-lug] Looking for a Senior MySQL administrator in San Francisco

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 11:33:36 PDT 2006

It is interesting you should bring that particular perspective to bear. Lets see, there is a decent chance the director lives in an inherited home in Pacific Heights, that requires payment of next to nothing in property tax (thanks to Prop. 13.) He locates the non-profit in San Francisco (which has the second highest cost of living in the nation, behind New York City,) not because it is the best place to do business, or the most hospitable place for his employees to live, but simply because he himself is well situated there. This particular job requires the applicant to live within 25 minutes of the office to respond to emergency calls. A recent survey published in the S.F. Chronicle showed that the average professional salary in San Francisco is $70,000/year, and that it costs $70,000/year to live there (can you say "Rent Slave?", the average rent for a small loft is $2500/month). Given that, I suppose $70,000 year might be a good starting point for salary. Hey, wait a
 minute, Point Richmond is within 25 minutes of downtown San Francisco during the evening, so you can likely get away with paying only $40,000/year if you throw in kevlar body armor as a job benefit. Of course, the employee will be expected to take good care of the armor because it must be returned if the employee leaves the company.

I don't see why a national non-profit that evaluates secondary schools is located in downtown San Francisco. Portland, Oregon is a hot bed of open-source developers and the cost of living there is WAY lower. Moving to Portland would be a much better way to save precious funding. Portland also has an airport, and is close to Seattle!

Cheers.

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote: Quoting Andrew Stanton (andrewgstanton at sbcglobal.net):

> I concur w/ Asheesh.  I looked at the greatschools.net site and they
> are a non-profit.
>
> My experience has been that non-profits and small businesses try to
> minimize costs as much as possible.

All of that would be great if we were all gentlemen of leisure living off
inherited wealth and just looking for good volunteer opportunities to
benefit the planet.  For _employment_, however....