[sf-lug] [conspire] Fwd: Re: Looking for a Senior MySQL administrator in San Francisco

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 11:10:57 PDT 2006

I agree that the list is not innundated with job postings, so it hasn't been a problem. This particular listing just happened to press my hot button. Todd Huss has posted a clarification to the job requirements. Still, I get very turned off when a company seems to have a well defined set of skill/experience requirements, but they don't bother to post a salary range. In my experience, not posting a salary range means "we want to hire someone at as low a salary as we can negotiate". It is also a good idea to post a salary range to avoid wasting peoples' time.

Regarding this job posting in particular, they may have a better chance finding someone if they concentrate on the South Bay (where a lot of folks who actually live in San Francisco work). Companies like Yahoo use a lot of MySQL, and someone at that type of company is likely tired of being a cubicule drone and spending three hours a day commuting. Also, I personally meet at lot of Postgres people in the Bay Area, but I can't remember the last time I've met someone who works with MySQL; this may be because the Bay Area is a big BSD stronghold.

jim stockford <jim at well.com> wrote:
    Rick's point was taken seriously. As the sf-lug
group has no leader (and hopefully won't),
action depends on some kind of consensus.
    As to (a policy re) job postings, there were a
few who piped up against, I believe a few who
piped up for, but the big response was silence,
hence non-action because of non-discussion.
    It seems to me that the sf-lug mail stream is
not deluged by job postings and that some of
the occasional job posts have in their wake a
discussion (such as Adrien's cross-post) that
generate educational discussion. The
educational effect seems to me, personally,
much more beneficial than the nuisance, and
again: there have not been sufficient numbers
objecting to generate policy or action.
    All that said, Adrien's and Rick's input are
much valued (as postings following theirs
show).