[sf-lug] Looking for a Senior MySQL administrator in San Francisco

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 21:25:18 PDT 2006

Since they are a "small non-profit", I'll feel charitable towards them if they pay the person who does this job as much as the person who is running the company. This is very reasonable, given the company is a "small non-profit" and the database administrator/Java developer/project manager is obviously critical to the company. My postings may be a bit harsh, but employers need to be made aware that software developers aren't pack mules. Looking at their web site, it appears that greatschools employs a fairly simple database schema, that is used to rate schools throughout the country, so perhaps it may be a reasonable set of duties. They also get funding from, among others, the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. If you've been following the news lately (Warren Buffett about to transfer his wealth to the foundation, Gates claiming to make education a priority for his foundation), this means greatschools should receive a funding increase soon.

Andrew Stanton <andrewgstanton at sbcglobal.net> wrote: Hi folks,

I concur w/ Asheesh.  I looked at the greatschools.net site and they are a non-profit.

My experience has been that non-profits and small businesses try to minimize costs as much as possible.

Also no surprise that greatschools.net would be using open source (PHP/MySQL) on their web site...

- Andy S.

Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote: On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Adrien Lamothe wrote:

> Sorry pal, but database administrators don't develop websites.

On the other hand, they might be looking for someone to help them with an
existing web app that they need to squeeze lots of performance out of
while maintaining good reliability.  So maybe they need another developer
for that who really *knows* MySQL, their database engine of choice.

Maybe they  aren't a huge company, so they need someone with just the right
skills match for the few but specific tasks they need done.

Sounds to me like you're reacting a little strongly, Adrien.  I won't
claim to truly know what they want this person for, but the position
sounded reasonable.

-- Asheesh.

--
[FORTRAN] will persist for some time -- probably for at least the next decade.
   -- T. Cheatham