[sf-lug] update from computer newbie

John Lowry johnlowry at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 13:31:32 PDT 2006

Okay, I know what I am about say is going to be in the ball park, but
specifics might be *off*.

For your firewall, you do not need to leave any services open for
incoming traffic below port 1023. I might be off by one, I forget.
Anyway, those are all services that daemons that are serving will use.
client connections, such as Firefox for web browsing and Thunderbird for
mailing, will make outbound connections on a port above that. So the
connection for a web browser(very simplified) would be:

<your-ip>:<a number greater than 1024> -> www.google.com:80

I could be very wrong about the whole deal, but that is my understanding
of the whole shmageggi. If anyone else with a better understanding of
networking could comment on this and correct any mistakes that would be
much appreciated.

Here is a link to a good explanation of a packets life on the Internet:
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1870

Also if you are really worried about what is accessible to the public
Internet, a $40 ($35 if it is on sale) router in between your laptop and
your DSL modem will help out a lot. It will use NAT routing so you
computer will have an IP address that other cannot see on the Internet,
yet you can see everyone else. I recommend a Linksys or D-Link.