[sf-lug] update from computer newbie

jim stockford jim at well.com
Fri Jul 7 13:00:48 PDT 2006

    Rick Moen's Cabal installfest is this Saturday:
check out the URL and take it down to his place.
http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/   # directions, times, etc. are at bottom
of the page.

    You're very welcome to come over to my house.
I'll be happy to come to your house. Some other
members might be interested, too.

    In my view, one of the main things in choosing an
OS is choosing playmates--i.e. look first to whom you
know and choose the OS they're using (not including
Windows, of course).
    You've chosen PCLOS
http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/3677  # useful review
http://www.pclinuxos.com/news.php  # home page

    As to your choices, if it were I, I'd choose
Apache  # on GP
BitTorrent  # if necessary for client use of bittorrent downloads
CUPS/IPP  # unless you won't be printing anything ever
ICMP  # sure, participate in the IP world
Mail Server  # if needed for system admin stuff
Open ssh Daemon  # let people in
POP and IMAP server  # if needed for email client or Mail Server stuff

    Hard to know in some cases without knowing the config
of the system. For instance, some systems use sendmail
to notify the root user of events (conjunct with logging).
    I'll bet others in this group have good advise.
jim