[sf-lug] terminal program screen capture tool

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Thu Mar 30 19:01:09 PST 2006

Bill Kendrick wrote:
 > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:44:46PM -0800, Alex Kleider wrote:
 >> can anyone suggest a simple screen capture  tool? (and how to  install
 >> and use it)
 >> all I want to do is capture the results of execution of simple C++
 >> programs
 >> from/to the terminal program.
 >
 > Err... wouldn't simple Un*x redirection be useful here?
 >
 > e.g.:
 >
 >   someprogram > outfile.txt
 >
 > or:
 >
 >   someprogram | tee outfile.txt

I was thinking along the same lines, additionally getting stderr in
there too:
     someprogram > outfile.txt 2>&1
or
     someprogram 2>&1 | tee outfile.txt
but not
     someprogram 2>&1 > outfile.txt

The last one confuses me until I think about 2>&1 makes stderr
go into stdout at the time it is parsed.
In the last one, stdout has not been redirected to outfile.txt yet,
so stderr will go to where stdout is (the terminal).
Best to play around and see.

Rick