[sf-lug] Re: From the front page of the SF "Comical" - Chronicle - OpenSource alternatives..

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 15:50:57 PST 2006

hi,

On 2/27/06, vincent polite <vpolitewebsiteguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  Thought this was interesting..
> "Open-source programs offer alternatives to Microsoft Office Some find
> they work fine, others say they lack some features"
>
> by
>  Carrie Kirby, Chronicle Staff Writer <ckirby at sfchronicle.com>
> Monday, February 27, 2006
>
> http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/02/27/BUG2IHECTQ1.DTL&hw=open+source&sn=001&sc=1000

I saw this article.  It's great that it has a front page splash box with a
picture of Bill Gates in the top right hand corner.  The Chron really gave
this top billing.  That is in itself a digital tipping point.

However, the story leaves a lot to be desired. With all due respect to
Carrie Kirby, she really doesn't know all that much about open source; or
she had to really dumb down the article for the purpose of being "neutral."
I am planning to scan the front page of the hard copy, because the Chron's
on-line version really doesn't match the prominence of the front-page
placement given to the hard copy.  If anyone wants to receive a copy of the
scanned version, please raise your hand!

Thanks for this info, Vince.