[sf-lug] Re: Look what I found...

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 14:20:45 PST 2006

Hi Vince,

On 2/23/06, vincent polite <vpolitewebsiteguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Searching for something, I found this site at Univ. of North Carolina
> Chapel Hill..(for something I can't go to..)
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/ Thought I'd share..

Thanks for the email, and welcome to the wonderful world of free open source
software.  In the future, most software will be downloaded from sites like
that, once the digital tipping point happens.  ibiblio is one example of
what Harvard Business professor Clayton Christensen calls a disruptive
channel.  As open source disrupts Microsoft's business model, the drop in
Microsoft's income will mirror a drop in the income of some of the channels
that are part of the Microsoft business hub, IMHO.  To me, this change in
the industry is one of the most fascinating aspects of the digital tipping
point, because it will result in a widespread alteration of the way that we
interact with each other.