[sf-lug] Re: sf-lug Debian Sarge CD

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 19 14:09:18 PST 2006

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

>    Anybody know a store where Geoff can walk in and
> buy the latest Debian (Sarge)? I'd like to know, too.

Why not get a "netinst" CD image for the cost of a mere 125MB or so
download -- such as Kenshi Muto's: http://kmuto.jp/b.cgi/2005/11/26

See also:  "Installers" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/
(page needs to be updated, now that 3.1 "sarge" is the stable branch)

Given Internet access for package retrieval, in the general case, there
doesn't seem a whole lot of point to either buying or downloading 14 CDs
or 2 DVDs.  You're not going to install most of that, and you'd be
replacing a lot of it with updates from the Internet, anyway.  So, why
not start with 125MB of installation media, rather than 9GB?

(By the way, Geoff forgot to specify the architecture:  alpha, amd64,
arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc.  amd64
was unofficial as of the 3.1r0 and 3.1r1a releases; the other 11 are
official.  He _probably_ means either i386 or amd64.)