[sf-lug] Thanks for the memory[ies]

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 4 21:20:34 PST 2006

Quoting Adrien Lamothe (alamozzz at yahoo.com):

> Why do you need a pair?

Who said I "needed a pair"?

> Those systems don't require matched pairs of RAM.

Who claimed they "require matched pairs"?

> Wouldn't one DIMM suffice, added to the current configuration?

"Suffice" if I just wanted to add 256MB or less, sure.  But that seems
hardly worth the trouble.  Since you asked, though:

http://www.satech.com/168-pin-3-3v-pc-memory-dimms-pc100-sdram-168-pin-3-3v-memory-dimms.html has:

64MB PC-100 ECC DIMM, $17
128MB PC-100 ECC DIMM $37
256MB PC-100 ECC DIMM $68 (as mentioned earlier)

As mentioned in my earlier post, higher density (than 256MB per stick)
isn't supported, which is why the only way you can add 512MB is with
some combination of smaller sticks.  (Thus the pair cited in my earlier
example.)

Any way you slice it, it's a lot of sandwiches versus very little system
benefit.