[sf-lug] (no subject)

David Sterry david at sterryit.com
Wed Jan 4 15:48:24 PST 2006

Thanks guys for your comments.

Rick's comments on getElement(id): I've not done much in the way of
modifying the javascript client since I found it. I set it to throttle
back requests if the user is idling for 2 mins or more, but haven't
looked at cross-browser compatibility. That's a good catch though I'll
try to address that next release.

Jim's comment on graceful exit: I want to look at how blogger asks you
if you're sure you want to leave when you're editing a new blog post
because it's that kind of thing that could help me get real-time exit
messages from the client. For now, timing out is how it's done.

Jim's comment on notifying admins when people come in the room: This
could be a simple as adding a little email sending code to chat.php when
a user first enters. Otherwise, the file status.php is meant to be php
or shtml included in a page. It is meant to be included on the homepage
of a site, shows how many people are in the room and is linked to the
login page.

Jim's comment on admin not available sign: This set of scripts is sorely
lacking admin functionality short of directly editing the txt files that
store the chat text, pings and user data. I've not seen too much abuse
so I've not worked on that. The original guy did some of that in asp.net
because he was dugg and had some nare-do-wells get in there are start
messing with the server. There probably should be a way to designate an
admin username and not allow anybody to use that name unless they know a
password. Then if admin's not logged in, an admin not available message
could be added to the userlist.

Jim's comment on the chatbot: Personally I want a chatbot gameshow host
that directs 8 users to play a game of chat survivor against one
another. 8 users, 3 chatrooms, 1 hour..1 survivor!

-Dave