[sf-lug] (no subject)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 4 11:34:50 PST 2006

Quoting vincent polite (vpolitewebsiteguy at yahoo.com):

> Hi David,
>   Thanks for sharing. I actually might be able to use it on this project I'm working on. Of course, you would be acknowledged, and any money coming from it, you'd get apart of.

For those who haven't tried & downloaded David's app, it's a nice demo of
Javascript / XML/ XMLHttpRequest coding.

David, I notice that you don't have a default handler for if function
getElement( id ) can't decide what browser this is.  You might want to
provide one:  There are an increasing number of Mozilla-compatible
variants and others (e.g. Opera) that are DOM/Javascript capable, and you
can't be sure their App Name string will always be "Netscape", as your
isFirefox test assumes.

Not that you should make special provisions for _my_ browser, but, just
to discourage webmasters from making vendor-dependent sites, I tend to
browse with App Name set to "Doesn't Matter" and User Agent set to
"W3C standards are important.  Stop f---ing obsessing over user-agent
already."

(There are a bunch of us who browse with User Agent set that way, as a
specific statement to webmasters and site managers.  See:
http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/UserAgentString )