[sf-lug] Rick's explanation of his internet setup.

jim stockford jim at well.com
Sun Jan 1 20:53:11 PST 2006

<wild_applause>
Rick and Adrien: what an interesting ping-pong!
* The laptop idea (get a cheap laptop for your
server if you want quietly to save electri$ity)
is useful.
* (i had no idea CPUs and motherboards had
such nicknames.) I'd like to know what are the
best choices for CPUs, motherboards, and
such in the first half of 2006. SATA is the way
to go? How about all-RAM systems?
* What are the tradeoffs of do-it-at-your-house
vs colo (your box lives there) vs web hosting
(not your box)? The colo and web hosters
have T-1 with UPS and wet ware switch
operations.

    The downside of the Uncle Enzo solution
(and the cheap laptop solution) is that the
older he gets, the more likely is hardware
failure. Once something goes (the drives,
controller, motherboard...), he's probably
permanently gone, as the money to
repair/replace is a bad spend, yes?
    Long as you've got him, love him, but be
ready for son of Enzo, what say?