[friday-follies] Sunday Brunch 6/9

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jun 7 23:53:04 PDT 2019

Quoting Michael Siladi (msiladi at ix.netcom.com):

> Just a quick reminder that Sunday Brunch is rapidly approaching.
>
> If you're in or out, please let me know ASAP.

I will remind Deirdre of your kind invitation; she's been so busy this
week wtih AltConf 2019 (http://altconf.com/) that she might not have
noticed.

Cheryl and I will not be attending.  Thanks for the invitation.

Oh, by the way, I wish to mention a couple of possibilities
for future gatherings:

1.  Kal's BBQ, 425 N Mathilda Ave. nr. Central Expressway, Sunnyvale.
Yes, I do mean thet Silicon Valley landmark -- not because of the
mouthwatering steak sandwich special, but rather because they also serve
breakfast, and are open on Saturdays 6am - 3pm.  They are NOT open on
Sundays.  Cheryl has had their breakfast recently, and says it's fine.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/kals-bar-b-q-sunnyvale  (includes menu)

2.  El Cerrito Mexican Restaurant, 325 Sharon Park Dr. (Sharon Heights
Shopping Center), Menlo Park.  We've been very occasionally going to
this Mexican restaurant for dinner since 2000, and it's OK for that, but
recently noticed they also do breakfast.  Cheryl and I looked at the
breakfast menu when we were there for dinner a few days ago, but haven't
yet sampled their breakfast wares.  One side of the breakfast menu is
American foor, the other Mexican.  (Yum!)

The interior is very 1950s.  There are vinyl booths around the sides
against the windows, but also regular tables in the middle.  Probably
fine for a Follies-sized party.  My family mostly stopped going here for
dinner because the Mexican cuisine for dinner is sort-of OK but nothing
special, like a Celia's, but there's reason to expect more from their
breakfast offerings, and the staff claim the weekend breakfast cook is
really good.  Weekend hours:   Sa 8am - 9pm, Su 8am-2pm.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-cerrito-mexican-restaurant-menlo-park
(no online copy of the menu)

Both of the above are very reasonably priced for breakfast.  Much as I
love the El Torrito Sunday brunch, it's a bit pricey for perfectly
defensible reasons:  It's an all-you-can-eat buffet.  So, when I go
there, I pretty much inevitably overeat, and regret doing so later.

--
Cheers,              "I am a member of a civilization (IAAMOAC).  Step back
Rick Moen            from anger.  Study how awful our ancestors had it, yet