[friday-follies] Anyone up for a Proposition Party?

Michael Siladi msiladi at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 23 13:13:38 PDT 2016

Folks:

It's that time again. There are lots of propositions (17!) on the
California ballot, plus a lot of local issue to be decided on November 8th.

For those not familiar with the concept, a "Proposition Party" is a
gathering where we discuss the merits and drawbacks of the various state
and local ballot measures.  This is not about "how to vote", but instead
it is focused on "what exactly are we voting on", and determining what
"yes" and "no" votes mean with respect to each ballot measure.

Typically, we gather on a Sunday before the election, bring our voter
pamphlets, newspaper editorials and reviews, web page print-outs,
campaign materials, opinion pieces, and any other background materials,
and discuss each measure.  Hopefully, we do this calmly and thoughtfully.

In the past, we've done this at the Sunnyvale Sweet Tomatoes (after
Sunday Brunch clears out, we can have several hours of "quiet" time
where we won't disturb anyone.  I also think that doing this after
eating yields better dialog.

I'd like to suggest either Sunday October 30 or Sunday November 6, about
Noon-ish (or so).  Sweet Tomatoes in Sunnyvale can work for us (dress
warmly as we'll probably be on the patio with space heaters.)  Other
possibilities include Hobee's, Black Bear Diner, El Torito (Milpitas) or
someone's home (with a potluck?) However, I'm open to suggestions for
alternate locations, dates and times.

Please remember that democracy is not a spectator sport.

Regards,
Michael