[friday-follies] Two more fabulous places in Menlo Park

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 25 00:53:46 PDT 2016

It occurred to me that one might be able to _kinda-sorta_ have a weekend
(Saturday only) brunch at either of two incredible local restaurants:

MENLO PARK:

Cafe Del Sol Restaurant
1010 Doyle St. near Menlo Ave., downtown Menlo Park
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-del-sol-restaurant-menlo-park
Category:  $$ - Mexican
   This is Nouveau Mexican food so good it will make you weep with joy
   (no greasy Tex-Mex here).  Many say it's the best Mexican restaurant
   of any kind on the Peninsula.  Nice atmosphere, white tablecloth, but
   not expensive unless you load up on booze, desserts, and/or lots of
   appetizers.  CLOSED SUNDAY.  Opens 11am on Saturday for lunch.
   Seafood is a particular specialty, but it's all good.  Great service
   except when they're mobbed.  You will leave with a smile saying
   'Damn, that was good.'

Back A Yard Caribbean American Grill
1189 Willow Rd @ Newbridge St. (just E of US-101), Menlo Park
http://www.yelp.com/biz/back-a-yard-caribbean-american-grill-menlo-park
Category:  $$ - Caribbean
   Jamaican cuisine.  Legendary for its jerk chicken / pork.
   People drive here from _everywhere_.  This is Yelp's #1 restaurant
   of any kind in Menlo Park.  CLOSED SUNDAY.  Opens 12n on Saturday.
   Thing is, it's mostly takeout because this is a tiny place, several
   tables inside and 2-3 4-person tables on the front pato.  Same owner
   operates a true sit-down Back-A-Yard in downtown San Jose, too, every
   bit as delicious.  I could see having a leisurely and memorable brunch
   on a Saturday at the Menlo Park hole-in-the-wall original location if our
   party arrived at noon and grabbed 1-2 of the outside tables.  But to
   be sure, it's hardly the last word in comfort, sitting out there.
   Founder is a top chef from hotel kitchens who preferred to quit and
   found an independent place where he can serve food like back home --
   or, as they say in Jamaica, 'back-a-yard' style.