[friday-follies] Roaring Camp on Saturday 8/23

Michael Siladi msiladi at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 20 17:32:02 PDT 2014

Folks:

For a while now, Alison and I have been thinking about going to
Roaring Camp Railroads in Felton (http://www.roaringcamp.com/) and
riding the train up the mountain through the redwood forest. We just
found out that our friend Susan Gleason
(http://www.obsidiandesigns.com/) will be vending at the "Summer
Gathering of Mountain Men" this weekend at Roaring Camp.

	Summer Gathering of Mountain Men
	AUGUST 23 & 24

	Relive history by traveling back to the time of Isaac Graham,
	the mountain man who settled in the Santa Cruz Mountains in
	the 1830s. Visit Roaring Camp's summer gathering of wild and
	wooly mountain men. Wander through the wilderness encampments,
	as the colorful and hardy lifestyles of early trappers are
	re-created. Watch frontiersmen perfect their skills while you
	chow down on a Chuck Wagon Barbecue lunch from noon to 3 p.m.

(You can find out more about Susan's shop at
http://outsideinn.com/blog/trading-post.htm/.)

The Roaring Camp steam train runs up the mountain at 11:00am,
12:30pm, 2:00pm and 3:30pm. I'm not sure if they still do it, but you
used to be able to stopover at the picnic area at the top of the
mountain and catch the next train back.

We're not sure which trip we'll ride -- I'm thinking about the first
train -- but we're open to suggestions. Train fare is $26/adult and
$19/child (2-12 years), and tickets are available on-line.  Parking is $8.

Let us know if you're interested.

Cheers,
Michael

P.S. You can also catch the Beach Train and ride down to the Santa
Cruz Boardwalk.