[dvlug] Fwd: Is there a meeting at Cafe La Scala today?, etc. ...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 13 16:44:05 PDT 2015

Quoting Oleg (enanitoleg at gmail.com):

> Since the number of attendees is so small and unreliable, I think it is
> reasonable to ask that anyone who plans on going post on the website or
> mailing list that they are planning to attend. If no one posts, the meeting
> can be assumed to be cancelled.

Another way of thinking of it is:  If you go there, there's a meeting.
If two of you happen to go there, there's an even better meeting.  If
three, it's a party.  ;->

I'm thus not sure it would have been an 'unnecessary trip to Walnut
Creek'.  I tend to follow Paul Krassner's dictum:  'If you don't like
the news, make some of your own.'

Personally, I tend to go to these sorts of things armed with a book or
with a laptop computer so that, if it's just me after all, I'm not
sitting there with just a coffee and sandwitch being bored.

> For my part, I am happy to go even if there is only one other person
> there.  I just want to avoid being the *only* person :).

With a good book or a laptop, ending up being the only attendee need not
be a big problem.  (My view, yours if you want it.)

I should also post here that I was not absolutely certain about the
dvlug.org domain being in expired status, though the 'whois' data
suggested that was a strong possibility.  Part of my point is that
domain registrars play games with the whois data on recently expired
domains that make the 'Expiration Date' or similar field a bit difficult
to correctly read.

In any event, the thing that _did_ happen, of the authoritative DNS
being suddenly and unexpectedly pointed to make the whole domain resolve
to a 'parked domain' Web server, is at least _consistent_ with what many
registrars do the moment a domain expires.

However, it's also possible that Grant didn't pay the bill _not_ for the
domain itself, but rather for bundled Web hosting -- and the registrar
repointed the DNS for that reason rather than on account of domain
expiration.  (If that is so, I'm sorry to have misstated the diagnosis,
but the coincidence of the domain's anniversary having been a few days
before that was difficult to ignore.)

--
Cheers,          I'm ashamed at how often I use a thesaurus.  I mean bashful.
Rick Moen        Embarrassed!  Wait--humiliated.  Repentant.  Chagrined!  Sh*t!