[dvlug] Is there a meeting at Cafe La Scala today?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 10 18:26:39 PDT 2015

> As far as I'm aware, there's a meeting ...
> but I won't be there ... Ian also won't be there, I believe.
> Don't know if Grant or anyone else will be there.
>
> Looks like presently dvlug.org is a web site "parked domain" page,
> or the like - Grant would be the one to ask about that (but
> whois(1) and friends may provide hints).

They do.
$ whois dvlug.org
[...]
Domain ID: D155808439-LROR
Creation Date: 2009-04-05T18:33:21Z
Updated Date: 2015-04-06T01:26:49Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2016-04-05T18:33:21Z
Sponsoring Registrar:PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com (R27-LROR)
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 303
WHOIS Server:
Referral URL:
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited --
http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: autoRenewPeriod -- http://www.icann.org/epp#autoRenewPeriod
[...]
Name Server:DNS11.PARKPAGE.FOUNDATIONAPI.COM
Name Server:DNS12.PARKPAGE.FOUNDATIONAPI.COM
[...]

The Registry Expiry Date field is a bit misleading.  This is something
many registrars appear to have started doing during the process of
domain expiration.  Basically, Grant Bowman missed the 2015-04-05
renewal deadline.

Fortunately, Grant can still renew at no more than
publicdomainregistry.com's regular $35/year renewal price, assuming he
acts before the 40-day 'redemption period' ends -- around May 15th.

During the 30 days after that, if he wants to avoid competing with
everyone else to re-grab the domain, he'd have to pay the registrar's
$200 'Restoration Price', according to
http://publicdomainregistry.com/pricing/ -- during which time, it would
in my experience show status 'Locked'.  Following that, from the 70th to
the 75th day following expiration, the domain is being prepared for the
'drop' to re-registerable status, and around the 75th day, the 'drop'
happens and anyone can grab it.

The best time to act to re-enable the domain is thus now.

I've written about domain expiration here:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/preventing-expiration.html

Mike Davidson has written an indispensible guide to the expiration
process here:
http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2005/03/how-to-snatch-an-expiring-domain

If that does _not_ occur, and someone elsewhere snatches the domain to
take it away from Diablo Valley's DVLUG (which certainly could happen),
then I'll just resurrect the old DVLUG page on linuxmafia.com that
existed between the first dvlug.org lifetime and the recent one.