[dvlug] dvlug.org Changes In June, 2012

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 5 00:18:07 PDT 2012

Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at dvlug.org):

> > * de-emphasize the role of the email list in favor of a WordPress blog
> > at dvlug.org
>
> How do people feel about dvlug.wordpress.com hosting the blog?

Because you don't care to run WordPress yourself, and prefer to
outsource to a company (Automatic, Inc.) that funds it by putting
Automatic, Inc. advertising and Google ads on your blog, attempting to
upsell you to the for-money service, and data-mining your usage?

If on the other hand you want to try running your own WordPress
installation, I'd be glad to set it up for you.  It's not like that's
difficult, as it's a bog-standard PHP/MySQL app.  All you need is a
static IP somewhere.

It makes me sad when LUGs act like they're incompetent to run their own
Internet operations, which after all has been _Linux's core competency_
for twenty years.  If even LUGs cannot be bothered to use Linux for
their own Internet hosting, why should anyone else respect Linux?

It's called 'eating your own dog food', Grant.

But, hey, you've obviously already made up your mind to outsource, and
all that's left is the justifying.