[dvlug] Meeting Today, Fri Feb 17th at Caffe La Scala

Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 17 16:00:02 PST 2012

Please join us this and every Friday from 6PM at 1655 N Main St in
Walnut Creek regardless of reminder emails. Details with map links are
always available. http://dvlug.org  If you can't make the meeting feel
free to ask questions on this mail list.

I just synched the Ubuntu 12.04 alpha2/daily image again so if anyone
wants a copy, please bring a USB stick.

The usual range of monthly events are coming up next week: sf-lug.com
balug.org noisebridge.net/wiki/LinuxDiscussion (among other
interesting events) penlug.org baypiggies.net

Colin King announced via twitter.com/planetubuntu that a firmware test
suite written by Chris Van Hoof can be burned to a USB stick and used
to test BIOS and UEFI hardware for compatibility with Ubuntu. Having
been burned by problems with this, I'm very glad to see this!
https://twitter.com/#!/planetubuntu/status/170457701904695296  I'm
looking forward to playing with these new tools. More info at:
    http://smackerelofopinion.blogspot.com/2012/02/introducing-firmware-test-suite-live.html
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareEnablementTeam/Documentation/FirmwareTestSuiteLive
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Reference/fwts

The key is providing tools and a program to aggregate all the raw data
that can be collected in a way that's helpful to teams that are
enabling hardware like the odm.ubuntu.com team sponsored by Canonical
offered as a service to OEM/ODM companies. friendly.ubuntu.com has
evolved to enable community participation. It's great how these teams
have developed.  Enabling hardware on one's own system is key to
Ubuntu success when shooting to move from 20 to 200 million users in
four years. I applaud these efforts as the devil really is in the
details to promote and socialize systems like these to enable Ubuntu
to run smoothly on many more desktops, laptops and tablets.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-qa/2011-March/001512.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-qa/2011-May/001605.html

I know tonight at Caffe La Scala we'll have at least one guest who has
traveled quite a way to join us. http://twitter.com/writernicholas

I look forward to seeing folks tonight.

Grant

P.S. non-sequitur reminder - over President's weekend the SF Bay
Bridge will be closed west bound Fri 2/17 (East Bay going to SF) to
possibly all the way through Tues, 2/21 unless they finish early
somehow.