[dvlug] Friday meeting

Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 13 22:45:56 PDT 2011

Hi Ian, glad things are going well there. I will set two alarms this
time and will talk with you for a few minutes Friday evening your time
via IRC. http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=dreamfish since we
don't have our own channel yet

Happy Ubuntu 11.10 release! I've rsynced the images for people here. I
hope a volunteer will step forward to help while I am in Nairobi,
Kenya for two more months. Reading the release notes
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot/ReleaseNotes I see gnome was
upgraded from 2.3 to 3.2 and that since the indicators were not ready
the gnome experience is not installed by default. Unity 3D and Unity
2D are the default with LightDM (replaces GDM) display manager. I've
followed the instructions there to try out Gnome 3 on a machine here
as well. UDS-P for Precise Pangolin is in a couple weeks in Florida
for those wanting to follow along.

Fedora is releasing as well. F15 Lovelock was released in May and F16
Verne is scheduled for Nov. More controversially F17 has been named
Beefy Miracle by the Fedora community with a community vote.

Cheers,

Grant