[dvlug] CNN coverage of Nairobi Explosion

Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 13 09:39:13 PDT 2011

I appreciate the concern but I'm fine here in Nairobi despite the CNN
coverage about the explosion and fire in the city. ! I have been busy
working with the dreamfish.com team. Strange timing but I had nothing
to do with it. :-)

We had a wonderful event on Sunday with IRC participation on
freenode.net in the #dreamfish channel. For those wanting to help us
check out http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=dreamfish

Yesterday was a quiet day of preparation for me. I finally am getting
some sleep and adjusting to the time difference and jetlag. Today I
gave a presentation that I will soon retweet.  I presented here to the
team of seven Nairobits graduates about olpcsf.org and laptop.org
giving background on the two OLPCs I have here in Nairobi that they
are using. They are excited to find ways to participate in the eleven
deployments here in Kenya as linked from www.grantbow.com my website.
I then worked with the tech team to flash the second OLPC 1.5 with a
new build (working around a firmware bug that came up) and then talked
about bash command prompt commands while downloading code from
status.net and getting ready to install a server tomorrow.

I continue to work on power and wifi issues here. We had a brief
outage of power here and the open-mesh.com units I brought with me are
not collaborating as a mesh network just yet. I'm still available via
email, twitter (public and direct messages) and IRC if anyone would
like to talk with me.

Cheers,

Grant