[dvlug] Smaug Case Study

Robert Wall robertlikesturtles at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 12:19:52 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 09:50 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> I should hasten to say that DVLUG, too, should cultivate the habit of
> mailing list backups early on.  The cumulative mbox for this mailing
> list can be fetched directly as
> http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/dvlug.mbox/dvlug.mbox .  It would be an
> extremely good idea for one or more member to run a cronjob to wget that
> file.  Daily wouldn't be too frequently.  (You, the guy reading this
> posting:  Why not _you_?)

Done. The following line in conjunction with "crontab -e" should be
suitable for a once-a-day backup, I think (all on one line, of course):

        23 13 * * * wget -O /home/robert/Documents/dvlug.mbox
        http://linuxmafia.com/pipermail/dvlug.mbox/dvlug.mbox

> And then there's the membership roster:  If people want to let me know
> they're interested, I'll cobble up a cronjob to e-mail them the
> membership roster of this mailing list at whatever desired interval
> (weekly, daily, whatever you want), so that (again) the data exist in
> multiple places.

Yes, please. Weekly would be fine.

> (Please note also, in the first of those URLs, my explanation of why I'm
> personally going to be out of commission for some number of days
> starting Thursday, April 30th.  That has relevance to DVLUG.)

Good luck, Rick. I hope everything goes well with that.

> Along those lines, a lesson that can be learned from BALUG's example:
> That group has a history almost as long as SVLUG's, but you'd never know
> that from looking at their Web site.  Why?  Because, long ago, they got
> into the bad habit of erasing all data about their meetings immediately
> after each meeting occurs.  By contrast, look at
> http://www.svlug.org/prevmeet.php, which has details of every general
> meeting SVLUG's held back to 1998.  (The group existed for ten years
> before that, too -- but that history is lost except for what's written
> on http://www.svlug.org/about.php .)

Don't worry, some of us are obsessive archivists; I think we'll be
fine :)

If a couple of other people wouldn't mind adding the above crontab entry
(assuming I did it right, which is always a perilous assumption) and
getting a subscriber list, I think we'll be very well covered.

--
Robert Wall <robertlikesturtles at gmail.com>
Web: http://www.rww.name/