[conspire] Cautionary tale: bad NTP client, bad NTP clock, bad date handling, C ints

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 26 18:01:09 PDT 2024

All the coders and sysadmins reading the story clapped their hands to
their heads and said "Oy!"  This is very much a modern equivalent of my
coworker Trey Harris's classic "case of the 500-mile email"
(https://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html).

This was a Mastodon toot, on Feb. 2nd.
https://infosec.exchange/@bob_zim/111862834586135218

@bob_zim at infosec.exchange wrote:

@shortridge While working tech support, I got a call on a Monday. Some
VPNs which had been working on Friday were no longer working. After a
little digging, we found the negotiation was failing due to a
certificate validation failure.

The certificate validation was failing because the system couldn’t check
the certificate revocation list (CRL).

The system couldn’t check the CRL because it was too big. The software
doing the validation only allocated 512kB to store the CRL, and it was
bigger than that. This is from a private certificate authority, though,
and 512kB is a *LOT* of revoked certificates. Shouldn’t be possible for
this environment to hit within a human lifespan.

Turns out the CRL was nearly a megabyte! What gives? We check the
certificate authority, and it’s revoking and reissuing every single
certificate it has signed once per second.

The revocations say all the certificates (including the certificate
authority’s) are expired. We check the expiration date of the
certificate authority, and it’s set to some time in 1910. What? It was
around here I started to suspect what had happened.

The certificate authority isn’t valid before some time in 2037. It was
waking up every second, seeing the current date was after the expiration
date and reissuing everything. But time is linear, so it doesn’t make
sense to reissue an expired certificate with an earlier not-valid-before
date, so it reissued all the certs with the same dates and went to
sleep. One second later, it woke up and did the whole process over
again. But why the clearly invalid dates on the CA?

The CA operation log was packed with revocations and reissues, but I
eventually found the reissues which changed the validity dates of the
CA’s certificate. Sure enough, it reissued itself in 2037 and the
expiration date was set to 2037 plus ten years, which fell victim to the
2038 limitation. But it’s not 2037, so why did the system think it was?

The OS running the CA was set to sync with NTP every 120 seconds, and it
used a really bad NTP client which blindly set the time to whatever the
NTP server gave it. No sanity checking, no drifting. Just get the time,
set the time. OS logs showed most of the time, the clock adjustment was
a fraction of a second. Then some time on Saturday, there was an
adjustment of tens of thousands of seconds forward. The next adjustment
was hundreds of thousands of seconds forward. Tens of millions of
seconds forward. Eventually it hit billions of seconds backwards, taking
the system clock back to 1904 or so. The NTP server was racing forward
through the 32-bit timestamp space.

At some point, the NTP server handed out a date in 2037 which was after
the CA’s expiration. It reissued itself as I described above, and a date
math bug resulted in a cert which expired before it was valid. So now we
have an explanation for the CRL being so huge. On to the NTP server!

Turns out they had an NTP “appliance” with a radio clock (i.e, a CDMA
radio, GPS receiver, etc.). Whoever built it had done so in a really
questionable way. It seems it had a faulty internal clock which was very
fast. If it lost upstream time for a while, then reacquired it after the
internal clock had accumulated a whole extra second, the server didn’t
let itself step backwards or extend the duration of a second. The math
it used to correct its internal clock somehow resulted in dramatically
shortening the duration of a second until it wrapped in 2038 and
eventually ended up at the correct time.

Ultimately found three issues:
• An OS with an overly-simplistic NTP client
• A certificate authority with a bad date math system
• An NTP server with design issues and bad hardware

Edit: The popularity of this story has me thinking about it some more.

The 2038 problem happens because when the first bit of a 32-bit value is
1 and you use it as a signed integer, it’s interpreted as a negative
number in 2’s complement representation. But C has no protection from
treating the same value as signed in some contexts and unsigned in
others. If you start with a signed 32-bit integer with the value -1, it
is represented in memory as 0xFFFFFFFF. If you then use it as an
unsigned integer, it becomes the value 4,294,967,296.

I bet the NTP box subtracted the internal clock’s seconds from the radio
clock’s seconds as signed integers (getting -1 seconds), then treated it
as an unsigned integer when figuring out how to adjust the tick rate. It
suddenly thought the clock was four billion seconds behind, so it really
has to sprint forward to catch up!

In my experience, the most baffling behavior is almost always caused by
very small mistakes. This small mistake would explain the behavior.

[RM:  Actually, this entire thread, that prompted the above, is entertaining.
https://infosec.exchange/@shortridge@hachyderm.io/111862291668938651 ]