[conspire] Home Servers

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Mar 20 08:44:48 PDT 2024

On 3/20/24 07:55, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> My ideal home server would be something roughly the size of the longer M.2 drives, perhaps allowing me to strap two storage devices (one on each side) to one low-heat, low-power, high-RAM CPU with decent networking.  Heck, build a snazzy backplane so I can farm up a dozen of the things for lots-of-containers work if you really want, but I do not care one whit about how fast any individual processing path is beyond "it shouldn't be worse than my laptop from 10 years ago".

I like this idea as a concept...

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/23/23652939/framework-cooler-master-sff-pc-case

...but it does need a fan. The newer 16-inch laptop from the same
company has the fan as a separate part from the mainboard...

https://frame.work/products/16-mainboard-amd-ryzen-7040-series?v=FRAKMA0007

It would be kind of cool to have my best board in my laptop, my previous
board in a heavy but silent media system in the living room, the board
before that in the server in the attic, and so on