[conspire] Twitter successors

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 9 10:22:23 PST 2024

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> First of all, I'd like to state quite clearly that any further
> workaround is a house built on sand.  I'm not advising this because I
> think it's the correct way forward.  Getting intelligent thoughtful
> people off of "enshittified" walled gardens is clearly the path to
> progress.

Quite.  Thus, am glad I spent half an hour writing to Mr. Nance.

> But I still have pretty good luck with the "bird.makeup"
> Xitter-to-Fediverse gateway.  It seems to have some amount of lag, so
> the people I follow sort of show up in bursts every few days.  But I'm
> not expecting to be able to respond to them (the gateway is
> effectively read-only), and I'm also enjoying not having to follow
> down-to-the-second breaking news online.

Excellent.  Thank you, sir.  I'm thus now following
@malcolmnance at bird.makeup
(i.e., https://infosec.exchange/@malcolmnance@bird.makeup), and
will gladly cope with the lag.  (The read-only limitation is fine by me;
I have nothing to say to Xitter, anyway.)

I must say, ActivityPub is working out pretty well as a commons.
MuskZuck can go do something biologically improbable with their
network-effect / algorithmic-feed / outrage-machine / botland money
scams.