[conspire] Awful kludge removed from Conspire and SF-LUG lists

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 2 13:16:49 PST 2024

Quoting Steve Litt (slitt at troubleshooters.com):

> With a list like this, I have a feeling most of your members are
> sophisticated enough to have real email addresses.

No.  Look at the roster, man.

Also, this server has a number of other mailing lists.

Also, I informed users years ago, that if they persisted in being
subscribed to mailing lists on this server from yahoo.com, yahoo.co.in,
or aol.com addresses (the ones that had militant DMARC policies soonest,
all operated by the Company Formerly Known as Yahoo) that they would
have problems and _seriously_ ought to pick some other mail provider.
Did they heed this warning?  Nope.

I'm sure you were here when I explained that, and also on multiple
mailing lists where I explained the DMARC problem and the mitigations
provided for it by latter releases of Mailman, yet in the recent
discussion you've not only acted like I hadn't already explained this
but tried to hijack the discussion into your goofy "big mail providers
are trying to kill e-mail" conspiracy theory.

The point being, I repeatedly explain things to warn of a problem, and
everyone ignores what I said, and, when the problem I warned off shoots
everyone in the foot, says "Wait, there's a problem?  What problem?  Why
didn't you tell us!"

Therefore, it's really hilarious when you say "Hey, you should advise
people to get 'real e-mail addresses' to educate them."  Because _that_
works so very well, eh?

Some days, Steve.  Have you considered starting to think before
commenting?

--
Cheers,                         "2021 showed up, and told 2020 'hold my beer.'"
Rick Moen                                                   -- @justinaireland
rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ! (4x80)