[conspire] AT&T and CPUC

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Tue Jan 23 19:26:12 PST 2024

 Regarding emergency fall back.  After the '89 earthquake, cell systems were either grossly overloaded or totally down.  Land lines kept working, except for one constraint.  Calls INTO Bay Area area codes were blocked.   So I could call any place north of route 85, but not into 408 (San Jose).
Also for the next day, I used amateur radio to receive messages asking about health and welfare.  I could make local telephone call and then pass back the message that all was well.  I also handled a message from the Red Cross in Alaska wanted to know if they could provide any assistance.