[conspire] (forw) Drastic step to deal with DMARC damage (was: What the hey? I am still garrison.hilliard at gmail.com)

Thu Feb 29 20:54:08 PST 2024

^^^^^^^
Argh.  (Should at least preserve the _name_ attribution, which
ought to be Steve Litt.  See how stupid this is?

> I'd term it as hostile to email. Email is an alternative to their
> walled gardens.

You're really not tracking what's going on, here, and gratuitously
trying to turn this into a "Yahoo and the other mail providers
are trying to kill e-mail" conspiracy theory.  No, Steve, the
hostile effect is towards _mailing lists_.

Recent Mailman 2.1.x releases, more recent than the old version still
running on linuxmafia.com, include an effective DMARC mitigation option
selectable in the admin WebUI.

Longer term, I need to get off my ass and migrate away from the current
software config.  But, I have thoughts that, after the California
primary (this coming Tuesday), perhaps Michael and I can figure out how
to do a careful upgrade-in-place to Mailman 2.1.30, or to one close to
that, that provides the desired DMARC mitigation option.

The system is running in a Qemu/KVM virtual machine, which affords some
advantages, I believe, including the ability to checkpoint the system
and try an upgrade but preserving the ability to rollback.
https://linuxconcept.com/kvm-virtual-machine-snapshots-and-rollback/