[conspire] xz exploit and backdoor

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Apr 5 02:01:59 PDT 2024

On Apr 5, 2024, at 12:36 AM, Ron / BCLUG <admin at bclug.ca> wrote:

> Wait a second, I thought Chromium was, if not de-Googled, pre-Googled
> (the open browser that Google added their stuff to)?

No. They were definitely doing uncool surveillance and trying to nerf Safari’s settings via WebKit commits before they *gestures cryptically* forked off. This is why I don’t have Chrome or Chromium on my machine. If I need a Chrome-based browser, I use Microsoft Edge.

This is related, but not the same: https://daringfireball.net/2012/02/cookies_and_privacy

I’m personally not convinced a small team could unfuxxor Chromium enough to be acceptably private or secure.

Deirdre