[conspire] xz exploit and backdoor

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Fri Apr 5 00:35:48 PDT 2024

Rick Moen wrote on 2024-04-05 00:11:

> A decade ago was about when the OpenBSD Foundation got so sick and
> tired of OpenSSL problems that they created the pared-down LibreSSL
> fork, which was a very good idea and is quite meritorious.  But
> LibreSSH?

I was mistaken - LibreSSL was the thing I was thinking of, not the
hallucination called LibreSSH.

OpenSSL being responsible for HeartBleed, not OpenSSH.

I have a memory like a steel trap: rusty.

> Since 2015, pseudonymous developer "Eloston" and a small number of
> others have removed the code for Google-specific Web services from
> Chrome's open-source base browser Chromium, replaced Google's binary
> BLOBs, added configuration flags missing from Chrome, and in general
> applied a patchset to remove corporate embuggerment -- as persistent
> fork "ungoogled-chromium".

Wait a second, I thought Chromium was, if not de-Googled, pre-Googled
(the open browser that Google added their stuff to)?

That is, I thought that by having Chromium as a backup browser, I was
running what people sometimes referred to as "un-Googled Chrome".

> Chromium lacks the following Chrome features:[9]
>
> Automatic browser updates
>
> API keys for some Google services including browser sync[10]
>
> The Widevine DRM module Licensed codecs for the popular H.264 video
> and AAC audio formats
>
> Tracking mechanisms for usage and crash reports

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium_(web_browser)

Ah, okay, I feel comfortable with that as a backup browser.

ungoogled-chromium's Wiki:

> Features
>
> Disabling functionality that requires Google domains, including
> Google Safe Browsing.[9]
>
> Replacing Google web domains with non-existent domains, and blocking
> internal requests to those domains.[9]
>
> Removing binary blobs from the Chromium code and replacing them with
> custom alternatives.[9]
>
> Adding dozens of flags to change browser behavior that is otherwise
> unconfigurable.[9]

Yeah, that'll do.

Long Live Firefox.

rb