[conspire] xz exploit and backdoor

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Apr 5 00:14:31 PDT 2024

Rick Moen said on Wed, 3 Apr 2024 22:50:57 -0700

>Oh, right, that last bit was crucial.  Lasse Collin, the innocent sole
>maintainer of xz-utils, was targeted in a brilliant _social_ attack as
>the first step of getting into Portable OpenSSH on Linux.  If you look
>into nothing else on this story, watch this video about how Collin was
>manipulated into giving developer access to pseudonymous developer "Jia
>Tan" (username JiaT75), here:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pT-dWpmwhA

Thanks for the video Rick. After reading that video, I'll change my
behavior on Open Source mailing lists. I was kind of mean to the
Bluefish maintainer, and I now realize my behavior on the LyX mailing
list was kind of shitty. I need to create a LyX alternative, not try to
beat them into making a product suitable for all output formats.
SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21